Thursday, November 06, 2008

Batman vs Batman

First of all you need to know that there is a city in Turkey called Batman.

Yesterday, in the newspaper, I read an article (thanks Sebastien) saying that Batman city's mayor (Hüseyin Kalkan) was planning on suing director Christopher Nolan for using the name "Batman" without their consent. That's one of the many ridiculous things I've ever heard in my life. The guy just sensed a way to make money I guess. Does he even know that batman means what it actually means in English ?

Here is another article found in the Hürriyet newspaper written by Yilmaz Özdil (here). If don't speak Turkish let me try translating it for you, non Turkish speakers.
--------------------------
They've asked Obama... Who's your hero ?
"Batman" he says
They've asked Mc Cain...
Who's your hero ?
"Batman" he says
*
One is black, one is white.
One is Republican, one is a Democrat
One is young, one is old
They have totally opposite ideas

They only agree on one topic : "Batman"
*
You know, the guy who gets out at night, with his mask and cape, with the incredible car...
[...]
I asked my fellow delegate at the Batman Journalist Association and representative of the Dogan Press Agency Arif Arslan : "What do you think about this ?"
meaning, is there a movie theater in Batman, was the movie shown there, what are you doing, sort of.

Arif said :
"Batman's mayor Hüseyin Kalkan is planning on suing the movie "Batman"!
?
?
?
?
I stood aghast for 8-10 seconds...

"How do you mean ?" I said

Arif told me : "According to the mayor of Batman city, there is only on Batman in the world... Open the maps, search through encyclopedias, he says, we're the original one, the brand is ours too... By using our name, they made money and think we're fools and don't get anything. That is why they're gonna sue the producer of the movie Batman and ask for a compensation."
[...]
--------------------------
Bonus : There was (I believe in 2000 but I can be wrong) a comic book called (I think) "JLA Annual #4". The story takes place in Turkey. I don't really know the details but here are 3 frames of the story :



































This post is dedicated to N's friend.

No comments: